4 steps to calm yourself down when you’re experiencing a panic attack.


 

Yep, another article about panic attacks. Trust me, I’ve been there! I’ve experienced having a panic attack in various places like train stations, schools, and Uni. Having panic attacks can be hard but throughout the years of suffering with paranoid schizophrenia, I learned to calm down especially when experiencing panic attacks. Here are my 4 steps to calm yourself down when you’re experiencing a panic attack

# 1 Find a place where you can be alone.

When you have a panic attack you tend to need to be alone. Especially with hard breathing and heart beats really fast. Find a place that’s not too remote but you can be alone. For example a bench at the back building of the university, near a lift or emergency exit if a panic attack occurs in a train station or public space also you can find simply a wall or maybe a park near your school. Being alone in this place can calm you down cause you can now breathe and handle the panic attack

# 2 Use positive affirmation to calm your mind down

When I have a panic attack I often use positive affirmations to calm my brain cell down. Having a panic attack is also overwhelming but try to say words like: I can do this, I will do a week, everything’s going to be okay,  I will get through this and I’m precious. Saying those things will make you calm your brain cell and nerves down. Maybe you will still look silly when you do your self-talk but it really works to calm yourself down.

# 3  Don’t forget your water

Panic attacks cost you a lot of energy that’s why I recommend that you have a glass or a bottle of water nearby. Water can calm you down after your body has to pump a lot of blood. Not immediately but after you do the first and second steps.

# 4 Contact your psychiatrist

Do this step only if you still can’t calm down after doing steps one to three. Contact your psychiatrist in case a bad thing happens also when you start to have suicidal thoughts you need them to calm you down. Because when a panic attack makes you have suicidal thoughts it’s dangerous especially if no one is near you! You might tempted to follow those thoughts and turn those thoughts into action!

Do you guys also have experience with panic attacks how do you calm yourself down? Tell me in the comments 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

3 Reasons Why I Chose Amsterdam as the Setting for Double Minority Hanna

5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals