5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness



 It's hard having a mental illness. I also know my experience of medication as a 10-year paranoid schizophrenic really changed me, especially with isolation.

First, let’s define isolation!

According to Cambridge.com Isolation is alone, separately from other people, places, or things.

Isolation can also produce the noun called lonely which is defined as a feeling of being lonely.

Do you ever feel lonely while handling a mental illness?

I do too in one of my darkest days in life especially when my depression and paranoia take control, I often isolate myself which makes me feel lonelier. My doctor even said that I must be with other people in order to get well because isolation is really a huge issue for a mentally ill people. It also has a negative impact on your mental illness.

Check out my 5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness.

# 1 Isolation makes you feed on your lonely thoughts

There are times when you start isolating yourself of course from my experience it can really make you feel more lonely. By isolating yourself, you will also feed the thoughts that I’m just not worth it, I’m really trash and people hate me. Those thoughts really came to me and made me feel lonelier.

# 2 Isolation can lead to suicidal thoughts and action

It’s real! Often when those thoughts really get on you the first thing that you want is to suicide. That feeling of worthlessness and no one cares about you can also lead to suicidal thoughts and action depends on your choice if you really want to turn that thought into action.

# 3 Isolation disconnects you from the world

From my experience, I came to the point where I could not do anything in isolation and just sat in my room and cried. Isolation really disconnects you from the world making daily activities seem hard even the ones that you’re passionate about. Making it hard to even get up of your bed.

# 4 Isolation makes it hard for you to connect with other people

When you isolate yourself, you often feel that it’s hard to connect with other people right? Because isolation especially with lonely thoughts makes you really selfish and just care about yourself. No, I don’t expect you not to care about yourself but just an impact on isolation from my experience that really made me hard to connect with others.

# 5 Isolation can make your mental illness longer

This really gets me! Back then everybody expected me to recover in two years and here I am in my 10th year. According to my doctor or psychiatrist, for a mental illness you can’t just drink the medicine it’s a step-by-step process. Usually, your psychiatrist will reduce the dose of medication until the lowest dosage then you finally don’t have to drink the medicine. Isolation really makes your mental illness longer because your psychiatrist will see that you’re not ready to reduce the dose then they’ll put you in a huge dose that takes a longer time than expected.

So, what are your experiences in isolation? Or maybe you still doubt yourself? Please tell me in the comments!

References

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/learner-english/isolation

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals

The Crucial Role of Physical Health in Mental Illness Recovery