5 steps how to be more confident despite having a mental illness.

 

Having a mental illness is bad, everybody knows that! Sometimes even the smallest task can be a huge challenge. With all the medications, therapies, and support groups it's hard enough just to get by day to day.

My mental illness paranoid schizophrenia really makes me keep on isolating myself from the world. It gets really bad at the times that I need to interact with other people, especially with hallucinations and delusions. I used the label ‘freak’ or ‘sick’ which always victimized me. At first, I decided just to accept it even though I knew that the isolating and victim mentality wouldn’t bring me anywhere.

I share my 5 steps to be more confident despite having a mental illness.

# 1 Challenge yourself

I remember back then when I was in middle school even though I kept on hearing voices, I didn’t get my diagnosis yet. I try to challenge myself that’s why I gathered my courage and applied to a vocational marketing major in high school. I knew that I needed the confidence for my future.

# 2 Positive affirmations

Yes, that’s really work. I started to affirm positive things to myself at my second year being diagnosed which is also my first year in college. Maybe affirmations are just words but those words make me become a more positive and confident person.

# 3 Hearing or reading other stories

The Indonesian Schizophrenia community really has an impact on me. Often, I open the community page and I feel energized seeing all the comments and reading other people’s stories makes me know that I’m not alone. Also, many people experience the same thing as me which really builds on my confidence that I’m not alone.

# 4 Doing hobbies that you are best at

I discovered my passion for writing at a very young age then I started to get compliments when I was in high school. While writing, I realize that I also can be the best. This really boosts my confidence level because everyone has their own calling and my calling is in writing.

# 5 Listing the things you are thankful for in your mental illness

You guys may already read my article 4 Things that I am grateful for Schizophrenia if not read this first. Listing those things can boost my confidence also knowing that my test will be my greatest testimony really makes me feel like I can do anything!

So what are the things that bring you to be more confident despite having a mental illness? Make sure to share it in the comments below. 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

3 Reasons Why I Chose Amsterdam as the Setting for Double Minority Hanna

5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals