5 things to be grateful for having schizophrenia.

 

Source: Pinterest 

It’s been nine (almost ten years) since I’ve been diagnosed with schizophrenia. If you met me when I first got my diagnosis, I’d tell you that I really hate myself.

Mental illness is hurtful not to mention hard.

It’s been like at least five years since I got stable and able to take care of myself. Through my journey as a schizophrenic I’ve learned many things I’m going to share these five things to be grateful for having schizophrenia.

# 1 Grateful to accept myself

As I mentioned in the blog post before, I learned to accept myself. Being through this hard journey I learned to accept myself and simply just being me. At first, I always had these thoughts that schizophrenia was a huge burden but, as time went by I accepted myself. Self-acceptance is a huge step because you have to accept yourself to move on in life.

# 2 Knowing my real strength

Going out and even being with many people is hard at first. Living with schizophrenia or any mental illness also means facing your biggest fear every day. Even though It’s hard to be open I decided to do it because I want to defeat the war going on my mind every day.

# 3 Take on challenges

Life is full of challenges. Yup, struggling with any mental illness makes us afraid of these challenges. I used to run and avoid challenges all the time. Soon enough, I learned that I have to be brave and take on challenges even when I have to face many people.

# 4 I win feeling

Every time and every challenge I face like going out, presenting something, or going on an interview. It’s just a winning feeling when I got through this with my mental illness. Even just saying hi and chatting with a friend or just posting on social media makes me have that I win feeling. These may seem like small steps but actually, these are big steps for me. Knowing I defeat the voices that I hear when people pass by.

# 5 Sharing my experiences with others

This is a plus especially when you join a mental health community. Being able to share something with someone once a huge burden to me. Now, I’m able to connect and share my experiences with others. Also knowing that other people experience something similar and rooting them on their mental health journey makes me really grateful.

Mental illness makes you sad and often feel different from others it’s true but from my journey, I learned these lessons to be grateful that I can take and share with others. What things that you learned from your mental illness make you grateful? Comment below. 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

3 Reasons Why I Chose Amsterdam as the Setting for Double Minority Hanna

5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals