5 things you need to look for finding the right doctor for your mental illness!

 

As a person with mental illness myself, I went through tons of steps before finally finding my psychiatrist. I went from just a church counselor then to a psychologist, and hypnotherapist and finally found my psychiatrist. You guys know my story right? Been through many treatments but they have no result in finding my psychiatrist/Mental illness doctor.

In this article, I share 5 things you need to look for in finding the right doctor for your mental illness. Please take note that I’m not only sharing my experience but the research I’ve done online.

# 1 Determine your condition

In my case, the reason I tried so many treatments is because I didn’t find out that I have paranoid schizophrenia yet so I just went through those steps. It's important to determine your condition first like by taking an online psychological test or identifying your symptoms.

# 2 Determine your need

If you are just stressed out you may not need a doctor simply just go to a psychologist. You need to determine what you need in a doctor or professional. Do you just need counseling then go to a psychologist many of them accept online counsel too! But if you need medications and counseling based on the test or your symptoms, then you need to find a mental health doctor or psychiatrist.

# 3 Consult with the general doctor.

Once you know your condition and needs the third step is to consult with a general doctor. The general doctor is a physician who treats many illnesses not only mental illness, often used as Dokter Umum in Indonesia. They often have a network or can recommend the right doctor for your condition.

# 4 Make sure you have a chemistry with your mental health doctor/Psychiatrist

I experienced getting treated at a smaller hospital, not my usual hospital. The doctor there told me that as a mentally ill patient, we need to have chemistry with our doctor/psychiatrist. It's different from an Internist or Pulmonary doctor who just prescribes and sees how your body started to change. The important factor because a mentally ill patient you will have to be open and tell him/her your condition and what you’re feeling.

# 5 Make sure the doctor and the hospital you’re in have the necessary medicine for mental health.

In my visit to a doctor in a smaller hospital before, I felt chemistry and I think if I can get treated there it will save me a lot of money to commute near my house. But, that hospital doesn’t have the necessary medicine that I usually consume so she referred me to a bigger hospital that has the doctors and necessary medicine.

Have you found your mental health doctor/ psychiatrist? You can easily search on Google for professionals or maybe get a referral from other doctors or close friends. 


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

3 Reasons Why I Chose Amsterdam as the Setting for Double Minority Hanna

5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals