5 Habits I've Developed as a Paranoid Schizophrenic: A Decade of Living with Mental Illness

 


Living with paranoid schizophrenia for over ten years has brought about significant changes in my daily life, many of which have formed into habits that I can't seem to shake. While it might sound daunting, these habits have become an integral part of managing my mental health. Here are five habits that I've developed as a person living with mental illness:

1. Counting My Medication

This habit developed quickly, especially as consultation day approached. I meticulously count my medication because, as someone with a mental illness, I know how crucial it is to take them daily to avoid setbacks. The thought of starting over is something I always try to avoid.

2. Counting Days Until the Next Consultation

Yes, I count both my medication and the days until my next consultation. In my community, consultations happen monthly, often on the same date. However, consultations might occur every three months for those living in rural areas or distant parts of Indonesia. It all depends on how stable your symptoms are or how far they've progressed.

3. Relying on My Doctor

The doctor who first diagnosed me gave me her phone number so I could contact her whenever I experienced symptoms. Over the years, I’ve come to rely heavily on my doctor, especially during panic attacks. However, I've realized this habit might not be healthy, as it often leads to hospitalization. If you're in a similar situation, it might be worth trying to manage your symptoms on your own or with the help of those around you, to avoid frequent hospitalizations.

4. Repeating the Same Answers

Every time I see a new doctor, they ask the same question: "What is your medication?" And every time, I recite my medication list from memory. This happens at least every three months when I need to renew my public insurance, and it feels like I'm stuck in a loop, always giving the same answers depending on my medication dosage.

5. Avoiding "Weird" People in the Waiting Room, Knowing I’m One of Them

This one hits me hard every month when I visit the hospital for my consultation. To avoid the so-called "weird" people in the waiting room, I often go with my parents. But deep down, I know that I’m one of them. It’s a conflicting feeling because, while I try to distance myself, I understand all too well what they’re going through.

So, what about you? What habits have you developed as a person living with mental illness? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

3 Reasons Why I Chose Amsterdam as the Setting for Double Minority Hanna

5 reasons to not isolate yourself despite your mental illness

Four reasons why to-do list is important to reach your goals